Workers' Compensation Delaware
Delaware has a long-standing track record of being a business friendly state – including no sales tax and no tax on process machinery or equipment. This has helped contribute to the fact that more than one million companies, including 63 percent of the Fortune 500® are incorporated in Delaware. In addition, 3,400 retail businesses and 2,300 Arts, Food and Recreation businesses call Delaware home.
Is Workers’ Compensation Insurance Required for Delaware Businesses?
In the state of Delaware, most employers with one or more employees must carry workers’ compensation insurance. Farm workers are exempt from this rule; however, farming businesses may voluntarily elect to obtain coverage. The Delaware state legislature created a workers’ compensation system designed to provide benefits to workers who experience an on-the-job injury or occupational disease. Those workers’ compensation benefits include:
- Medical care
- Temporary disability payments and compensation for a resulting permanent impairment
- Benefits payable to the family of the employee in the event of a fatal work-related injury or illness
In Delaware, failure to carry workers’ compensation insurance can result in civil penalties for each day of noncompliance.
Getting the Right Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Beyond the legal requirements for Delaware businesses, workers’ compensation insurance is a smart investment to help provide protection for both your employees and your business in the event of a workplace accident or illness. When choosing an insurance carrier, look for a carrier that provides the right coverage at a competitive price and offers value added services such as:
- Loss control support that includes resources to help reduce workplace injuries and illnesses, improving productivity and long term profitability.
- Efficient claim handling that provides prompt service to injured workers while Claim Adjusters help control claim costs by working with the injured worker and physicians to help evaluate and administer the appropriate care.
- Fraud prevention resources can help mitigate workers’ compensation fraud and lower the cost of workers’ compensation insurance.
Getting Workers’ Compensation Insurance with EMPLOYERS
At EMPLOYERS we have over 100 years of experience exclusively serving the workers’ compensation insurance needs of America’s small businesses. We also offer many value added services such as cash flow assistance with flexible payment plans, loss control support and fraud prevention.
Request a quote today and learn how EMPLOYERS provides cost-effective workers’ compensation insurance and services to businesses like yours.
 State of Delaware Division of Industrial Affairs Frequently Asked Questions. https://dia.delawareworks.com/workers-comp/faqs.php
 State of Delaware Workers’ Compensation Act. https://dia.delawareworks.com/workers-comp/documents/Workers%20Compensation%20Act%20Rev20140715.pdf
 Delaware Economic Development Office Data Book, April 2017. https://business.delaware.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/118/2017/09/DE_DataBook.pdf